Amy and Jackson on the High Speed Train
Sam's crib- the one on the left by the door
The Nanny Sam was closest to

Sam's crib- the one on the left by the door
Both of the Nannies that took care of him the most
Sam's Best Friend In the Orphanage
Sam, Meredith, the orphanage doctor and the assistant director

Sam's Physical Therapist in the Therapy Room

Front Gate of Hengyang City Social Welfare Institute
At Lunch With Orphanage Staff
Outside the Restaurant

Wow. We just have returned from visiting Sam's orphanage and hometown. We took the bullet train to Hengyang City and then took a van out to the orphanage. I don't even know where to begin, as I know I haven't even begun to process all that I have seen and learned today. I do know that I am thankful that we had the opportunity to visit. I am so happy that we were able to meet the nannies who cared for Sam, and see the place where he lived from the age of 4 months until almost 18 months. I am thankful that we have his finding spot recorded for him. However, today was no doubt the most difficult day of my life in many ways. I already have tears just thinking about it again. Orphanages vary quite a bit around the world, I am sure. We did get to visit Lily's orphanage in 2010, but we were not allowed to see many of the children, and we were not allowed in the rooms where the children slept. So, it is hard to compare, but after walking all through Sam's orphanage, being allowed to pretty much walk anywhere we wanted to, meeting the children, holding them, watching them- I can say that Lily's orphanage was close to Disney World. After being in Sam's orphanage for only 2 or 3 minutes, I could not contain my tears. Tears for Sam that he will be going home with us, tears for the children who are left there. It's not that the nannies don't love these kiddos or do their best for them. It's just that they simply do not have the resources that are needed to meet the kids' needs, -300 of them- and they do not have the training necessary to work with the resources they do have. Sam is very delayed- yes, but now I understand better. I simply cannot compare him to Lily. But he is lucky. God has been watching over him. Although I know he will struggle to catch up, and it will take time for sure, he has a fighting chance. Some of the children I saw today broke my heart. I want to advocate for each and every one of them. They need to be held. They need to be loved. They need their basic needs met on a daily basis. I am confident that the 4 months Sam spent with a family before being abandoned help him immeasurably. The doctor of the orphanage walked around with us, and from time to time she would ask me about a child "Do you think this child is adoptable?" How do you even answer that? Of course I want to scream- yes! Fill out the paperwork so this child can have a chance...but at the same time I am aware that there may not be a family waiting for a 5 year old boy from China who has no joints in his arms. Or a 2 year old girl who has Downs Syndrome. Each child that I met today, I prayed for very specifically, that God would keep them safe, that He would give them hope and a future...hopefully with their very own family included in that future. I am sharing a few pictures of our day. I am reminded again how blessed I am...but for the Grace of God.
Blessings-
Meredith
Thank you for your wonderful email and for such a beautiful blog about your orphanage visit. I hope we are given that opportunity when we finally travel. God bless the rest of your trip. BTW... you have all of my favorite songs on your blog!!!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Georgia
http://waitingforian.blogspot.com/
This makes me cry and cry. It is truly heart-breaking. Adoptable? EVERY ONE of those precious children is adoptable! Every child deserves for their story to be heard and to have a family of his/her own. I know that had to have been so emotional for y'all, but that was divinely orchestrated that you meet each of those children today and now they have someone praying specifically for them. God is working His plan out in each of their lives, and He is using you as an instrument - what a privilege!! Praying for you and your hurting heart. I love you!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing the hard parts. Thankful to know the Father of the fatherless. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! Sam looks so precious! And, Jackson has grown so much!!!
ReplyDelete